View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
Your winter tires are installed backwards
I was about to reply "LOL", but then I thought "Hmm... could be something to it".
http://www.barrystiretech.com/direct...icaltires.html
"If you mount a directional tire backwards - so that it is rotating the wrong direction - the only problem caused is wet (or snow) traction."

The very first winter after I just bought my 35d (18" Dunlop RFTs), we had a lot of snow in Seattle, so I went to see how the X will handle some of them around my neighborhood.

Saw a guy on Range Rover (LR-something, 5 or so year old vehicle) attempt to get to his home up a steep hill. Granted, he had oversized rims and thin tires. So, he couldn't make it after multiple attempts.

I attempted the same hill (without turning off DSC) and got up the hill without a problem. I could feel the X5 switching torque to various wheels - the vehicle was kind of jerking forward every half second, as if it was able to find dry asphalt and getting traction. But I knew there was no way the tires got to the asphalt. The guy before me attempted that trick ("digging" through snow by spinning wheels) with no success.

Used hill descend control on the way down - awesome feeling of being completely in control while coming down slippery and snowy hill at exactly the speed I desired.

Last edited by serge1; 01-21-2013 at 11:24 AM.