BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Need new Tires on 2004 325CI--New to the E46!

5K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  p88 
#1 ·
I am new to the forum and also to the car. I just purchased a 2004 325CI! I am expecting delivery next week and it needs new tires. The car currently has RFTs but i am looking for something that lasts a bit longer. A quick research on tirerack and the threads on Bimmerfest and i came up with the following options:

Requirements: Low noise, Longer tread life, Decent ride quality (Stiff springs on the car. I could use a slightly smoother ride as this will be my daily commute car)

Front: 225/40/R18
Rear: 255/35/R18

All seasons:
(1) Michelin Pilot A/S PLUS
(2) Bridegstone RE760
(3) Yokohama ADVAN S.4

Questions:
1. Would appreciate some advice on these or any better/cheaper options?
2. I will soon be moving to Texas so is summer tires something to look in to for using year around?
3. Staggered Vs Non- staggered setup ( 225/40/R18 on all four)?

Thank you.
-p88
2004 325Ci

See less See more
#2 ·
Had the Michelin A/S tires. They were a little noisy, but handled well. If you want long lasting tires, get a UHP tire with a 360AA treadwear or higher. Although you will sacrifice cornering for life span.

This is one a lot of guys swear by....http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=G-MAX+AS-03

But I can speak from experience on the Michelins and they handled well for a harder compound, longer life tire.

#5 ·
Thanks for the quick response guys.

It seems like Continental DWS is worth a look at.. It does have loads of positive reviews on tirerack. I won't be using it in snow so any experience with the ExtremeContact DW (summer tire) or is the DWS the better of the two?
Considering the price point, i think the Continentals do seem like a better choice over the Michelin A/s. (difference of $76).

I am still not sure whether to keep the staggered setup or go with 225/40/R18 on all four?
It might be cheaper by 140$ to do this but i don't want to kill the essence of the fun behind the wheel by doing so. Any suggestions on this front?

#6 · (Edited)
Well if you have no use for the Snow (S) performance at all, I guess you can go with the DW summers - it will probably give you a bit better / sharper handling vs the DWS, which I assume has a softer side wall.
I didn't want to mess with 2 sets of tires and that's why i went with the DWS, in case i need to handle some light snow - whatever the diminished amount of handling with the DWS, I am sure I don't miss it, as I don't use my car for any extreme sort of driving - the DWS gives me enough handling for the occasional 'fun' drive around some curves when I meet them :)

(I am also planning on going square some day, but probably with 2 sets of style 264 REAR wheels so i can run 245 tires on all 4 corners....)

#7 ·
Hmmmm, since you want a more compliant ride, might I suggest you sell those 18" wheels and put the stock 17" square set up wheels on? Finding stock wheels is fairly easy on Craigslist or this forum's classifieds. Get them, buy new tires, then sell the 18's and probably make a little money over your purchase price of the 17's. Tires will be cheaper, too. Good luck

#8 ·
Well, i really like the look of the 18s so i guess i will keep them and go for something which has bit more of a sidewall..Thinking to opt for Conti DWS as opposed to DW since they have a higher tread life and hopefully are less noisy!

#10 ·
If you're looking to save a little coin, you can go with the Goodyear Comp T/As. I did a little research, and wound up getting them again. They were the tires that were on my car when I bought it. They have a high wear rating, which was one of my priorities, and they happened to be on sale for about $90 per.

To what part of Texas are you moving? Depending on the region of Texas, you may have weather simliar to the DMV area...

#11 ·
Another data point for you: We run 17" Conti DW on our E46 wagon during non-snow seasons. Very quiet and excellent grip, but have an annoyingly sluggish turn-in, and wear much faster than expected.

#12 ·
i dont really know much about all seasons but we use Michelin PS2's in the summer 225/45 in the front, 245/40 in the rear, and they are great, and in the winter we switch to Blizzaks, same 225 all around. the extra performance of the summer tires in my opinion is worth the cost, and the time to change them

#15 · (Edited)
So.. just made the purchase on Conti DWS. Decided to stick with the staggered setup.. The tires should be on the car by next week, so i will post about the initial feel...One quick question..Do i need to purchase TPMS going from RFT to non RFT? Actaully, does the 2004 325CI have an ABS based system? not sure about this...

#18 ·
No TPMS on E46s, nor do you need one.... just get a decent pressure gauge (if you don`t already have one). 36 front, 38 rear is a good starting point for a staggered setup.

#20 ·
Conti DWS or nexen N3000 are both great imo

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App
I found the Nexen N3000 to be about worthless in the rain. Very slippy and poorly constructed IMO. Chinese crap. Conti's are good.

#22 ·
*All* new tires are gonna feel a sh!tload better than whatever they replaced....the first 50% of a tire`s life is usually good, the second half of it`s lifespan is what separates the *really good* tires from the mediocre ones....

#23 · (Edited)
I've been in the Houston area for a few years now. I'm happy with Kuhos Ecsta 4X from Discount Tires. I'm not looking for super performance tires on my 144K miles '01 330i with sports package. Discount Tires is very good at doing the little things, like free rotation, balance, air pressure, at least from the Friendswood store. I caught their $100 off Labor Day special a day late, but they gave it to me anyway without having to send in a form for reimbursement. Four tires, balanced, new stems, installation was $495 out the door. 225/45R17XL 94W and 245/40R17 91W.

You can say I am a happy camper with them. :thumbup:

BTW, I asked them to inflate to 37 front 44 rear in my 997 Turbo, and my OBC displays those pressures dead on, so I assume their inflation is accurate.

#25 ·
I just had a set of new rear tires put on my car yesterday. And yes, believe it or not I bought NEW tires (rare for me). Just got tired of dealing with used stuff. I bought the Sumitomo HTZ P01 which is very different from what I usually buy in that it is a UHP "all season" tire (I usually buy summer only tires). I was worried but the price was too good to pass on (I am poor after all) at $316 out the door for 245/40/18's.

Tirerack has a good youtube video test of the tire and they get great reviews from consumer reports (not that I listen to them, again, this was more a price based purchase. I HAD to buy new tires and didn't have a choice). I haven't broken them in yet, but my 40 mile drive home proved a few things. 1. They are quiet and comfy on the road. 2. They seem responsive enough. 3. Very predictable.

I am going to buy a pair of fronts next week and then stiffen my suspension and give em a real test. But I'd say they are a great A/S option.

#26 ·
Update on the DWS.. Around 3000 miles on the tires and they seem to be holding up well. I have been gentle with them but have done the occasional hard cornering. The ride quality isn't very good but that i believe is a function of the horrid roads in Houston and stiff springs on the car. The low profile setup ain't helping! On better roads, the ride is very smooth.

#27 ·
Your opinion/judgement is being clouded by the fact that this is your first time in a BMW, and a Sport Pkg. Coupe to boot ! Don`t know what your previous ride was, but I`d venture to guess it was nowhere as aggressive as your present car.
Relax, enjoy it, and try to avoid potholes, etc. :thumbup:

(What tire pressures (cold) are you running ?)

#28 ·
My wife's '02 525i sport pkg has a set of Kumho Ecsta 4x's on it and they are no joke. Smooth, quiet, and VERY GOOD traction at high speeds. I run the Pittsburgh to Philly PA pike pretty regular and triple digit sweepers cause nothing but giggles. Conversely, my car ('05 330i ) has a set of Dunlop Sport signatures that came on it. Talk about noisy !! Unless the road is pretty smooth, ride comfort is awful and the road noise is just about intolerable. They are freakin' terrible. I can totally recommend the aforementioned Kumho's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.