View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
I went on Friday (black tie) and enjoyed myself. I don't consider this to be a top auto show so it's not a let down for me - I was happy an 328i wagon was there. Otherwise, it was a good time with just overall low quality food for the price of admission

One thing I know many will disagree with but I found the new 335 in estoril blue to be awful. The color was striking at first but then very quickly became "Omg that's gonna look like **** in 3 years"

And I like estoril blue m3's. It's the lines of the f30 for some reason. To each his own. Color always looked good in pictures to me; maybe it was the lighting.

The f30 continues to impress me overall. The current m5/m6 platforms are just huge - way too big. It's not just the physical size of the car - it's the high beltline and shortened greenhouse.

The one car that overall struck me was the Porsche Cayenne GTS they had at Porsche. Spectacular interior/space/layout/functionality all around. Every single thing I touched felt solid and high quality.

The boxster/cayman struck me as very nice cockpits....but....maybe it was the seat being all the way down/back, but the seating position was not good for a Porsche. I felt too inside the car. Panamera was the same way, and the 911. It really doesn't feel as "right on top of the road" as Porsche used to in their sports cars.

After getting in/around them but not driving them, I would get a Cayenne for my everyday life (still available in 6mt!) and an ol 993 for the fun times.
I really like the Cayenne GTS too, and I forget the price, but it was real high for an SUV (was it well over $100,000?) The new Carrera 911 interior is similar to the Panamera, and kinda like the seating position in my ZO6 (sold). The center console is higher to give more of a surrounded cockpit feel and a flat arm to stick shifting position. I'm used to that in the Vette, but I agree, I feel more like I'm driving a true sports car in my GTS Carrera than I did when driving the new 991-911 Carrera. I had mine out yesterday with 55 degree temps and the salt finally washed off the roads. I was feeling great, especially when I started looking the car over, and all I saw was quality as compared to most of the over priced cheap crap the manufacturers were trying to peddle at the car show.

I am going to need a replacement for my '01 Suburban sometime this year. I really liked the Range Rover Sport (also on the expensive side but a bit cheaper than the Cayenne S), and I'm also going to look at the Cayenne S diesel. I'm just having a hard time justifying in my mind paying those prices for an SUV that is going to sit out (no more garage space).

My wife really likes the Range Rover Sport. Maybe I'll sell the Suburban and her BMW 535xi, and then I'll be able to park whichever replacement in the garage. She decided to retire early starting next month, so maybe she no longer needs her sedan? She can always share with me when she wants to drive something fun - either the 335is or the Porsche.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW E93 335is; '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget

Last edited by beden1; 01-21-2013 at 02:33 PM.