View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Actually this is a well known problem with the X5, but BMW has successfully covered it up. It is regularly discussed here on the forum, but as soon as the thread pops up it is deleted.

It is unusual that this has stayed up so long....

In snow country it is common to seen X5s clustered at the bottom of steep hills while other traffic passes them by...indeed, quite a few drivers have been cited for backing the wrong way up hills as well.

BMW should be embarassed.
I wouldn't call it the best system, but Xdrive seems to handle snow pretty well - I have given an example above. Granted, I live in Seattle and we dont get much snow unless venture out to the pass or up to Vancouver ski area. But I have found myself pretty comfortable up there. I did see vehicles that are supposedly good AWD not able to start off on slippery surface (Nissan Xterra). Maybe there's a driver component to it.

The X5 acts differently when it's very slippery. While another (traditional) SUV would lose grip at the front tires and just slide straight forward when attempting a turn (understeer), the X5 tends to slide the back (oversteer) - probably due to rear wheel bias?. I found that I prefer that behavior, since it gives more control.