View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 04:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
The I6 folks on the E46 side has this to say about getting to the CKP today:
Bluebee, you've got an m54 now, right? Here are some great photos of an immaculate, out-of-the-car block and where the CKP goes.

A couple different ways to get at it:
- One poster did it from underneath the vehicle, by feel alone. Maybe I drink too much coffee, but my dexterity doesn't even approach being able to do that.
- Someone else did it by removing the airbox, MAF and rubber boot to the throttle body.
- To me, I felt I had better access by removing the driver's side microfilter and air channel. Then, with a 5mm long reach ball-end hex socket, like this, it's pretty easy to reach.

It occurs to me that if you really want a good look at it, and an easy reach, you could remove the fender liner and jack up the front of the car (so that the wheels drop to their lowest point of travel) and you would probably have a straight shot to it. Seems like more trouble than it's worth, though.

Make sure you have a magnetic pick-up tool when you take it out.

When you go to re-install it, stretch a piece of electrical tape over the tip of the ball-end hex socket to hold the bolt in place while you guide it to the hole.