Thread: Z3 Roadster (E36/7) Running Temp
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighthnote View Post
Up until about a week ago it seems that my Temp gauge always ran right in the middle after the car warmed up. Now I just drove from the airport and noticed that the needle never went past 1/4. The heater/defrost seemed to be putting out but I'm curious why the temp doesn't hit the middle of the gauge? Is this a problem or should I just be glad my Roadster runs cool? 2001 3.0i.....
As I understand it (and this has been discussed in other threads), your "temperature gauge" is really an analog warning light controlled by the car's computer. As long as the coolant temperature is in the "normal" range, the needle points to the middle. Only if the temperature is too cold or too hot outside the "normal" range will the needle deflect left of right.

You want your car to run at normal coolant temperature.

Therefore, you need to check to see if your "temperature gauge" is working properly (not sure how this is easily done; the BMW diagnostic computer?), and to double check the actual coolant temperature (external thermometer) and condition of the thermostat. Since the coolant appears to be running cold, one quick check would be to remove your thermostat and see if it is stuck open when the coolant is cold . . . or just replace it with a new, known good thermostat and see if that solves the problem.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).