01-22-2013, 07:11 AM
Seek to understand,^Value
Location: San Jose, California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Complete list of all o-rings (by size & by part number) to buy when ordering parts
I was ordering oil filters today when I realized I should have a ready-made list of o-rings by part number to get while I'm already ordering other stuff (not just for oil changes but for all maintenance jobs).
It was untimely, while on the phone, coming up with the part numbers on the fly for optonal o-rings, so, I belatedly realized that it would have been useful to have a ready-made list all the o-rings we might wish to keep in mind to get the 'next' time we're already buying parts.
Here's my starter list below - but the point of this thread is for others to ADD other necessary maintenance o-rings (& rubber o-ring-like gaskets) for adding to existing orders and to keep in stock in the garage.
NOTE: Please make sure the part number and the size & quantity needed is listed!
- Two small o-rings on the bottom of the oil filter stem
- Two small o-rings at the top of the oil dipstick,
- 11431717666, 9mm ID x2.2mm Thick (Quantity=2) $0.73 each
- Large o-ring on oil filter cap (usually comes with the oil filter)
- Large o-ring at the bottom of the dipstick guide tube
- 11431740045, 19.5mm ID x3mm Thick (Quantity=1) $1.81 each
- Power steering cap o-ring
- Lower radiator hose coolant temperature sensor o-ring (p/n is for the air temperature sensor in the intake manifold)
- 13621743299, 8mm ID x 3mm Thick (Quantity=1) $1.25 each
- Oil filter housing oddly shaped gasket
- DISA o-ring gasket
By way of example, here are current prices from 4wheelsautoparts (which I assume are typical out there):
- 2 x Oil Filter Stem Seal, Lower (11427549573) = $3.64 ($1.82 each)
- 2 x Oil Dipstick Seal, Upper (11431717666) = $1.30 ($0.65 each)
- 1 x Oil Filter Kit, including O-ring, copper seal, and Mann filter (11427512300) = $4.60
- 1 x Oil Dipstick Seal, Bottom (11431740045) = $0.56
- 1 x Oil Drain Plug Bolt (11131273093) = $1.74
- 1 x Power Steering Reservoir Gasket Ring (32411128333) = $1.49
Each repair should invariably add to our knowledge base by the process of inexorable incrementalism.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks
& How to easily find what you need
Last edited by bluebee; 01-25-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Reason: Added detail...