View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Very nice! Congratulations.

With regard to Sirius, it's a perception thing. On low end crappy systems, there isn't as big a difference in terms of overall sound quality between Sirius, FM, CDs, iPods. They basically all sound crappy, but even with a crappy sound system, Sirius usually isn't as good, and discerning ears can notice it.

However, with higher end systems, the difference between Sirius and everything else becomes much more dramatic. Basic FM, CDs, and iPods sound significantly better. It's really quite obvious. The reality is that Sirius sounds better on the high end systems too, but because there is such a big drop off in quality compared to the other input sources, it seems like Sirius actually sounds better on low end systems.

CDs sound best of course. I would rank FM and iPods the same. Then there is a HUGE drop off with Sirius. HUGE!

So you're observation and theory on that is pretty much right on...

Fact is, Sirius is just really poor and even the best systems can't compensate for it.

EDIT: By the way, this is not a problem unique to BMWs. This applies to all sound systems everywhere. You would think that this obvious, but after spending years and years on the 'Fest, I wouldn't be surprised if someone interpreted this as a BMW only issue.

Last edited by krash; 01-22-2013 at 09:11 AM.