Thread: Gear shift knob
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330xi
Fix for loose automatic shift knob

I had the same issue with the auto shift knob being loose. I could rotate it about 15 degrees left or right. It didn't affect the functionality. This was not an issue with the actual shifter, rather just the shift knob, but made it feel cheap. So, taking
spoonerDee's post on how to dissemble the knob, I figured out it was because an inside plastic tab was broken off. Then, I simply super glued another plastic piece in it's place and now it's as solid as new!

More details:

Materials: Loctite Professional Strength super glue, tweezers, scrap hard plastic
  1. This is a close up looking down into the knob. Notice the small grey broken tab. There should be a pair of like-sized tabs across from each other.

2. I cut off a small piece of hard plastic from an old toolbox, using the good tabs as an approximation of the size needed. A clip from a plastic pen may be another source of material. The key is to make it very small.*
  3. After a few practice tries, I realized it too hard to place the replacement tab in exactly the correct spot before the super glue would stick. So, what i ended up doing was positioning the piece into the right spot (with tweezers), and then dropping a couple drops of super glue on both sides of the piece. I recommend you doing the same. This super glue is no joke.

4. I let it dry overnight, and popped it back on the next day. It's been a week, and it's holding strong. There's not even a hint of the loose wobble!

*Notice the size my yellow replacement tab.It's actually larger than the original tabs, and that causes a slight problem where the button not to spring open all the way. It still works, but my button only presses in about half of what it originally did. Maybe if I get up the motivation, ill try to get it back out and shave it down by about 40%. If you make yours closer to the original tab size, then I wouldn't expect you to have this issue, as minor as it is.