View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi Joel,

There's currently no aftermarket head unit that fully supports the OBC functions. The Dynavin has a 'reader' option for some of the parameters only. The 'Eonon' and other similarly branded cheap chinese unit's are a gamble if they'll arrive working and continue to work etc - for instance Eonon were a site sponsor on a UK forum and they've just been removed due to not consistently supporting a substantial number who'd bought and experienced all sorts of issues.

Some owners *must* have the OBC, and other's like myself who never had it are still able to live each day and drive our E39's ! other's who also had the OBC and have changed to an aftermarket head unit are also still alive and able to drive their cars ! - in short, keeping the OBC is not the be all and end all in terms of head unit's if you are open to having an aftermarket head unit - you can still see many parameters in the instrument cluster for instance.

All aftermarket premium brand head unit's and their manufacturers will have steering wheel control adaptors in their accessories range. If you find there isn't one etc, then aftermarket ones from the likes of Connects2, PAC and Paser have units - so this is really a non issue. I personally don't even need those as I find it quite easy to reach over less than 12 inches away to adjust volume etc, the money I saved there I put towards other parts of my audio system!

Adding amplifiers and subwoofers and uprated speakers is also easily done.

I have no idea on who is a good installer in India though ! - perhaps I should open up a high quality installation shop back home somewhere!

Cheers, Dennis!