View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
Interesting thread. I have ignored (or more to the point, been ignorant of) these o-rings completely. Are there any recommended change intervals for these o-rings from any reputable source? I don't remember seeing any guidance in Bentley's. And I hate looking through the TIS. Mine are all probably original. Another thing(s) to replace...
I know last summer when I changed the O-rings on the distribution piece, they were hard as rock. Literally. The new ones are a tad softer - they are hard to replace.
They do deteriorate in time, sometimes it's a leak (like the oil leak by the CPS). Sometimes it's vacuum leak (DISA). BTW, Gary's O-rings work well, BUT: make sure you lube them lightly, then when you re-install the DISA, be VERY GENTLE in pressing it in. You have to actually rotate it back and forth and press it very gingerly in. Otherwise, the new O-ring will shear. Ask me how i know.
The PS O-ring, once you start seeing ATF on the canister - it's a dead givaway. I always thought it's soiled because of the vent hole. I was wrong. Since I change that sucker, I never had a drop of the red stuff staining the canister.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby