View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
I've purchased the extended warranty for every new car I've bought in the last 15 years and I've at least broken even compared with dealer retail prices. If BMW asks $1500 for an extended warranty, they expect it to cost them less than $1500 on average. But I don't think BMW NA could pay a dealer the same shop labor rate that a retail customer is charged, and no matter what the invoice says, they are supplying the parts at a fraction of the retail cost. By buying the BMW warranty I am prepaying for expected repairs, which BMW discounts.

Alternatively, if I have an out-of-warranty car, I'll be sure that I have a tame independent shop to take it to when it breaks.
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"