View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 04:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
A well maintained x3 will last a very long time:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=291640

One super commuter got 208k trouble free miles out of his 05 (his reports above). I have 109k on my 09 and it has been trouble free.

With your cars age the known maintenance areas are:

1) vanos hoses and o rings
2) valve cover gasket leaking
3) ccv
4) oil filter housing gasket
5) battery
6) new shocks and struts
I really like this question and I think brian gives some good information on your current X3 and the new model. With the above maintence items he listed above, your looking at roughly $2k? But that should last you for another 50-100k miles in my opinion on the engine alone. You say your family is 5-6 hours away and you travel their a lot, highway miles are great for an engine, its the stop and go traffic that the engine dislikes. I've heard of M54 engines lasting into the high 200k miles or even higher.

If it were me, I would get a second car and keep the X3, if she (the x3) hasnt given you any real serious problems in the past why give it up? "If it aint broke, dont fix it" It's fully paid for right?
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 Oxford Green | Caramel Nappa | Brushed Aluminum Trim | DINAN | Eisenmann | SuperSprint | TuningTech | ///M Registry | My Progress Thread |
2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD