View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 335Ci View Post
An H8 is an H8 .... it's a standard, just like a 194 and 1157 bulbs, and because it's a fog/aux. bulb, you're going to have to look hard and long to find a bulb 'brighter' then 35 watts or 'whiter' then 3400K. And if you find one, you're going to have to order it and pay accordingly. The H7 bulbs, because they're termed as 'headlight, low beam' can be found almost anywhere at prices from $20 to about $60 per pair. I'm a firm believer in being able to get 'common' components quickly and locally. And I don't mind a little 'engineering' to get the results I want. When my fog lights need replacing, I'll do the same thing, go to my local auto parts store, buy a pair of Sylvania SilverStar ZXE H7 bulbs for $65, trim the tang and enjoy the increased light output.

Your choice, play follow the leader or do something different.
Don't want to sound like a party pooper, but puting H7 (55W or higher) onto H8 (35w max) will increase temp inside the headlamps. I heard someone melt the headlamp assembly going all out trying to make the angel-eye super bright, yep filing off the bayonet wing on H7 bulbs.

I just not going to risk that, Like I said on eBay someone is selling H8 20W LED for a pair for $80 shipped. These LED is more efficient prooducing light with less heat. Remember 20W is dissipated heat not a measurement of light output. 55W incandescent bulb may produce less light than 20W LED bulb. you need to talk about Lumen/Candle as measurement unit to find out which bulbs is brighter not wattage.