Thread: Replacing RFs
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGray5 View Post
Read up on the issues with Run Flat tires and their issues and related wheel issues....hundreds of posts on these forums about it as well as car magazine reviews. Some have had several wheels/tires damaged. This was a rare occurrence before runflats. You aren't really trying to deny the issues with runflats are you? Do you work at a dealer?

By the way, have never had wheel damage from a flat non RF tire...of course I always had the good sense not to drive on it as well.
I don't work for a dealer but I do understand business. In the RFT scenario - a bubble develops and you bring it in to BMW. BMW swaps it and in turn send the defective tire back to the manufacturer which equal no cost to BMW. They can't do that with replacement tires, thus they won't cover it. As for driving on it - if it were to happen at a high rate of speed you would drive on it.

Although I never experienced any troubles with my last 3 sets of run flats, I am planning on replacing them with non-runflats. For me this is not so much about comfort as it is wear. My current lease is 39 months longer then the 24/36 I usually do. This means that I will have to replace the tires before I turn it back in. That being the case, I would rather replace them now with a good set of tires and then put the RFTs back on at turn in then pay for another set of RFTs.