View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540iT Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy36-39 View Post
What? All I do is buy that and I'm talking hands free through the car's sound system? Sounds a little too good to be true.
It's close Of course this is not quite as good as a full-blown integration.

The way it works: Your phone connects to this thing over Bluetooth. It has speakers and microphones built-in. So you can make phone calls hands-free with this.

The beauty of this thing is that it has a built-in FM transmitter as well. So you just tell it to not play sound through its own speakers, but send it out over a (selectable) FM frequency. You then tune the radio to the frequency, and voila, your phone's sounds are coming over the car's sound system.

Since I play audio from my phone (music, podcasts) 99.9% of the time and hardly ever listen to the regular radio anymore, this works fine for me. If i wanted to be able to listen to regular radio and at the same time have a hassle-free hands-free solution, this would not work as well obviously. Another potential limitation is that it uses an FM frequency, and depending on where you live, it may be hard to find an open frequency. It also does not give you a nice graphical interface to show you an address book for example. You'd have to use your phone for that. But put that in a nice cradle (with charger even) and you have a nice solution that's cheap & portable.

For the money, this is certainly good enough for me. It's not worth $400+ dollars more to me to get the full-blown integration.

As an aside - From what I've been reading, some of the aftermarket head units seem to fit nicely in the BMW decor, and many of the higher-end ones at least have Bluetooth phone support built-in as well now, allowing you to play music and / or make hands-free phone calls that way. So that's a nice hands-free, fully integrated option to consider as well.

Last edited by Valorum; 01-23-2013 at 02:25 PM.