View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
I think you need to work with Discount Tire to resolve the problem, and it sound like they are working with you, which is good.

A BIG however....in my opinion, they put the wrong size tires on your car in the first place. The principle is that the circumference of the tires should be the same front and rear. When you have four tires the same size, they will of course be the same. When you stagger the tires you need to keep that same circumference front and rear -- which typically means that you have a narrower, higher profile tire in the front and a wider, lower profile in the rear. So when running a 225/40R-18 up front you would probably want a 255/35R-18 in the back, for instance. You can play with those values a little based on the specs of the individual make and model of tire but you attempt to keep them as close as possible. Your rear tires are two sizes bigger than your front tires. When they install 245s front & rear that problem will be eliminated, although I don't know if the 245s will fit up front.

I am not blaming your vibration on this front/rear mismatch, but you could end up with ABS or traction/stability control problems...

I would think that the BMW dealership will see the new non-OE wheels & tires bought elsewhere and not much want to touch it.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport

Last edited by LMC; 01-26-2013 at 05:21 PM.