View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 530xiT
From the aforementioned Bimmerfest thread........

Quote:
During the twiddling, I found that if I pushed the manual "lever" (pin) in the opposite direction of unlocking, I got a few other motor noises, and found that the glass window would now open (yay!). So I decided there was a missing/broken return spring inside the mechanism on the hatch. Pushing the lever further back (like the spring should) tells the computers that the lid is securely locked shut. Without knowing this, the car won't arm the alarm, and you can't open the glass window, and you'll get complained at from the dashboard if you try driving.
So sitting in the cargo area, legs outside, hatch mostly closed on your legs, remove the 1" square plastic cover to access the lower latch. This might even be covered in the manual, on page 36 in my PDF -

Quote:
In case of an electrical defect:
1. From the cargo area, press out the cover 1 on the tailgate with a screwdriver.
2. Press the locking bar 2 in the direction of the arrow.
Pushing it in the other direction will help the car think the hatch is closed and latched, so you can request an opening of the window from the smarter-than-any-of-us computer. You can also use this trick to make the car think it's secure so you can arm the alarm, even when the hatch is held closed with a shoestring because you didn't have any rope with you at the time. Go ahead, ask me how I know.