View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5, xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetman View Post
Hmmm....maybe it's not what I asked, but how I asked it. I'll try again:

Has anyone downloaded their iPod to the music storage system on their X5?

I've tried it, via the center console USB port and the screen just says "Plug the USB... ..".

The owners manual says to plug in the cord into the USB port in the "glovebox'.....is that referring to the compartment in the dash or the center console? The dash compartment locked the iPod up. I can play the iPod through the center console USB port but it will not download into the X:
I don't believe an iPod is a "suitable" USB device for storing music to the system. Here's an excerpt from my 2010 manual: "Unsuitable devices: USB hard disks, USB hubs, USB memory card readers with multiple-inserts, Apple iPod/iPhone.". It goes on to say: "Music from a USB device can be stored only via the USB interface in the glove compartment.".

So, although the system can read MP3, WMA and AAC (AAC is Apple's encoding used in iTunes), you can't use an iPod as a USB storage device. So, your options are what a couple of the others have suggested: Burn the AAC/MP3 files to a DVD and load via the CD/DVD drive or export the AAC files from iTunes to a USB drive and plug it into the glovebox USB interface.