Thread: Black Sapphire
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
I did ED with my Jerez Black M3. I took utmost care while in Europe to maintain the paint, even putting a layer of sealant on it before I left the Welt! Unfortunately, it arrived back in the States all scratched up like someone took it through the car wash. I did PCD redelivery, and I know it wasn't them (see below). But somehow it was in fairly rough shape and took me a solid day of compounding and polishing to make it look new again. Once it was in that state, I used care and good washing techniques to keep it scratch free for a year, until I sold it.

For my new car, an ActiveHybrid 3 in Black Sapphire Metallic, I just took normal delivery via PCD. PCD did a wonderful job and there were virtually zero fine scratches or marks. I did some very minor compounding/polishing to get a few stray, light scratches out of the BSM painted surfaces. The worst area was the gloss black B-pillars! Then I applied sealant and wax, and now it is flawless.

Since the car is now perfect, I fully expect to be able to maintain this level of scratch-free paint. I'll be the only one to wash it, and I use the proper methods.

It's only a nightmare to maintain if you don't start with a perfect car, and/or take it to a car wash or the dealer.

Last edited by SamS; 01-24-2013 at 07:55 AM.