View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: X5 '02, M3 '88
Quote:
Originally Posted by WB734 View Post
I have a 2004 X5 and have had issue with the check engine light coming on when engine is cold and then the car vibrates intensely. I contacted the dealer immediately who instructed me to not drive car and bring in for service immediately. The car has been at dealer for 2 weeks and the only description of the problem is that the levers and lifers were stuck and would need to be replaced which is expensive as they need to take the engine block apart. The diagnostics did not mention that the levers were valvetronics and did not describe issue in any detail. Currently the cost of repairs is $1600 labor and 1600 parts..... Description on service summary: REPLACING LEVERS AND LIFTERS AND BOTH BANKS????? When I requested additional clarification this is what was provided: "Replacing levers ad lifters inside the motor as well as the associated gaskets thatt seal the area"

When I contacted the North American BMW customer service number they offered little information, they would not even provide me with information on whether this problem was a known issue.

Needless to say I am very disappointed. Any additional feedback would be greatly appreciated.
What feedback are you looking to get? Don't buy old luxury cars. They are expensive to maintain.
They probably want to change parts at both banks so that you aren't going back to them any time soon. If it's a known issue - yes and no. The N62 has had problems with valvetronic, but not on E53 X5. Most problems are on E60 5th series. Mostly due to worn out valvetronic parts.