View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 AM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashline View Post
Thanks for the words of advice!

I think I'm going with the stick. Aside from the above, I was concened that the 5 series has developed a rep for insulating the driver from the road and worried that the automatic would only enhance that feeling.

Thanks again.
My first BMW was a 1966 1600 I had back in the 1980's.....it was a glorious 4 speed.......and I've also driven nothing but manual BMW's since Sept 2000 when I picked up my first shiny new 330Ci from Santa Barbara..............that being said, I think the F10 is way too big for a manual, the car is way too quiet (obviously an exhaust would help), the 1st gear is way too short, you get worse acceleration from a stop and to top it off you get worse mileage. I get around 20 mpg. I almost wish I could just start in 2nd gear as 1st you are only in for a split second and wasting time. Also keep in mind your right hand will constantly be fiddling around in that iDrive controller while driving and around stoplights/etc as well.

The new automatics are faster, better and more efficient now and there is no penalty in having one. This was marginally debatable with the E60 but there is absolutely no question about it now.

Now, if you are worried about Long Term ownership costs of a complicated automatic transmission, that is one thing, but if you think the manual is going to provide a "sports car" experience in a car this large, it won't. I am not trying to dissaude anyone from going for an MT, in what will be without question our last chance at getting a 5 series MT, just putting out some observations from someone who has driven nothing but MT BMW's.

This is my opinion, obviously, but I suggest you test drive new F10 with automatic first, then somehow a MT (find a newer 335 with the same transmission and pretend you are hauling 1,000 lbs in the trunk) before you jump.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 01-24-2013 at 09:18 AM.