View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535iX GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by daughej View Post
Hey everyone, I have been to the depths of the internet and back trying to figure out what is going on here, not to mention the dealership was no help. It's a white dot that appears on the digital gas gauge when I have a destination active in the navigation. The vehicle is a '13 550i picked up in November. My first assumption was the it was telling me how much fuel it would use to get to the destination, which would make sense. If the white dot was indicating you would need fuel before you would arrive at the destination, then you could plan accordingly. But, sometimes its closer to the full side when its just a 20/25 mile trip. I dont understand!

Hopefully y'all can help. You can see the mysterious white dot closer to empty just to the right of '0'.
As "the nice lady" at the Welt explained, the dot (could be White, could be Orange, based on daylight) appears when you have a destination active in the nav system, and is trying to show whether you have enough range to make it to your destination. The range varies, based on your fuel consumption, and decreases as you consume fuel. So, over time, your range bar shortens bringing the end of the range bar closer to the dot. With a far off destination, it is possible for the dot to render to the right of your current range, or perhaps not render at all (too far still).

So, in your picture, you only need a smidgen of your remaining range to make it to your destination.

Also, if you haven't already noticed, when you get down to your fuel reserve, the range bar and dot turn yellow-ish.

2010 535i: Deep Sea Blue | Natural Brown | ED: 6-Aug-2009 | 2013 535iX GT: Neptune Blue | Venetian Beige | ED: 31-Aug-2012