View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i GT
When I was a newbie*, I opted to do my research first then ask later. While this is obviously the best suggestion for any newcomer, it is a little misdirected to just say "do a search."

The Google search at the top actually searches all of bimmerfest, which includes threads and also blog posts. The results are shown much like how you would see results on Google.com, sorted by relevance based on keyword(s) match and not displayed in the forum or threaded format that we are all used to. Threads are also shown multiple times if it has multiple pages. This makes it harder to find answers in a focused approach. For those truly enthusiastic about ED, this should not stop them, I'm just saying it may not be the best way to go about it for some newbies.

I think a better approach to search, which I found more helpful during my ED planning phase, is to go to the main European Delivery forum page, click on "Search this forum" dropdown on the forum header, and then enter your keywords or opt for a more advanced search. The results you get are threads (not google search links within bimmerfest) containing all the keywords you entered and in chronological order. Plus, you get to preview the post when you mouse over the thread. For those not accustomed to forum sites, they may not find this neat feature and may get daunted by the more generic "search" function up top.

*Does completion of an ED automatically classify you as a "non-newbie"? I wish there was a count for number of threads read/clicked into. By that category I would be a seasoned veteran of these forums.

2012 535i GT ED 1/9/2012