View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 07:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
The first word that comes to my mind about the 3.6 V6 in the ATS is "weak". The next word that comes to mind is "unrefined". On hard acceleration from a standstill low end torque is seriously lacking. I'd rather have the naturally aspirated I6 in my 330i any day and the N55 absolutely spanks the Caddy's 3.6 V6. Not surprisingly the V6 doesn't come close to the wonderfully linear pull of the I6.
Do I feel my N52 a little weaker than N20? Maybe, but I like the driving feel of the N/A I6, and it is faster than I really need on public road. It is when I take it to autox it begins to suck.

Do I feel the ATS 3.6 a little weaker than the N55? Yeah a little. But the reality is, unless you take them to the track, they both have way too much power for the street. What they did to the 3.6 is giving it a beautifully aggressive exhaust sound, something the 335i does it only half hearted.

The ATS 2.0T's driving character was a total surprise to me. A engine not only smooth but more eager to rev, nice turbo sound. Again more exciting as you push it hard. The N20 is more contained. Both can use some exhaust tuning BTW.

So far most reviews only tested pre-production ATSs, and for the 2.0T, only the manual tranny.

What maybe a show stopper is all the bugs new ATS drivers have reported.