View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhurless View Post
The problem I see is that the shop is quoting a water pump and no other cooling system components. Typically with E46 if the water pump has failed, chances are the tank, hoses and t-stat are about toast too. This shop doesn't sound like a BMW specialty shop, and their labor rate backs that assumption.

My advice would be to take it to a good local Bimmer shop and get another diagnosis there. And to comment on something mentioned above, I do not recommend you try to bring your own parts. That's like bringing your own steak to a restaurant. Most shops will be insulted, just so you know.
I hate to disagree, but I'm going to. I think most mechanics won't do a complete overhaul due to one part failing, unless the customer specifically asks for it. The "DIY" way of doing things is that we'd might as well just do it while we're there. Most mechanics don't do it this way -- they just fix the part that's broken.

Also, my indy has no problem with BYOP (bring your own parts) so long as they're reputable.