Thread: Wary noob
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 540i6
Quote:
Originally Posted by knownothindave View Post
Hey all--I've been sneakily cruising your forums w/o registering for a few days now. I'm interested in buying a 540i wagon, but after looking at the Wiki and FAQ here, I'm kind of wondering if it's a good idea.

That is--it seems like there are so many things that go wrong with the 5-series; is it worth the buy? I own a 1991 Land Cruiser, so I'm not unfamiliar with preventative maintenance...but are these just lemons, or did I just make the mistake of reading all the "could go wrong" stuff altogether?

Short version--if I bought, say, a 2000-2002 5-series wagon (first BMW, if you haven't caught that yet), am I going to be under the hood constantly?

Thanks in advance, and congrats on an awesome forum
-D
I own a 2000 TLC (115K miles), as well as 03 540i6. The TLC has only stranded me once, when the auto tranny went at 90K miles. Did the front sway bar links myself recently, and had the dealer do the timing belt at 85K as per Toyota's recommendation. Dealer did F and R and parking brakes over the years.

Service history
(oil changes myself every 5K - 7K)

On the 540i6 (105K miles)

Front brakes pads and rotors (warranty)
radiator and exp tank, hoses, belts (dealer) 55K
Wheel bearings (myself) at ~60K
F + R brakes (myself)
PS tank + hoses + complete front suspension (indy) 90K
WP, TStat, fan + fan clutch, some hoses (myself) 104K

I'm going to do VCGs soon, plus rear suspension in the next year.
Lots of very good info online to work on the 540, even more for the 525/528/530.
The 540 also doesn't have as much rust as the TLC, but it doesn't get as much snow action as does that car.

Hope that helps, I have owned both cars since new, so that gives some peace of mind, when you buy used you're at the mercy of the previous owner(s).

dave
03 540i6

Last edited by 540nj; 01-25-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added fan clutch info