View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_novice View Post
Issue # 1: I now dont have heat at idle, the heat comes on strong at even minimal speed (upto 30mph). What could it be? I checked the coolant level in the reservoir, seemed quite full, topped it off to be sure.
Quote:
I noticed that sometimes of late it tends to come up only till about the 1/3rd mark on the dial.
Based on these two comments, it definitely sounds like you have a failed t-stat. If the t-stat is working correctly, the temp gauge should reach 12 o'clock and stay there after about 10 minutes of driving in ALL weather & driving conditions. No exceptions.

Quote:
The fan in front of the radiator was not running i.e the fan that is between the radiator and the bumper not the one closer to the motor with various belts. Is this a problem, should it be spinning at idle too?
The electric auxiliary fan should only be running if A) the air conditioning is turned on, and/or B) your water temp has gotten so hot that it has called the aux fan to duty for additional cooling beyond the normal belt-driven fan. If your A/C is off and the water temp is within the normal range, the aux fan should not be running.

Quote:
Btw, the torque app (see below) showed that the engine coolant temp was about 188 deg F at idle, and about 150 degs when cruising at 65mph. The engine temp needle on the dash stays square in the center
This is normal. The actual water temp fluctuates quite a bit, but BMW built a buffer into the water temp gauge so that it always stays straight up at 12 o'clock if the water temp is within the normal temp range.

Quote:
Issue # 2: I just bought the ODB 2.0 code reader bluetooth thingie and the Torque app, and found the following codes: P0420 (cat system efficiency below threshold), P1423, P1421. It does not say what #s 1421 and 1423 stand for.
I don't know what 1421 and 1423 are off the top of my head, but I bet you can find out fairly quickly by searching with Google.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 01-25-2013 at 02:00 PM.