View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Car guy

Mein Auto: E39 M5/E70 X5 M sport
BMW Nav really sucks

Begin rant......From day one on the way back from Spartanburg I knew found BMW nav to be inferior to every other I have used. Even ten year old units. Latest example - a familiar route from Burlington Vermont to Portland Maine. I punched it in to see about what time i'd land and came up with a ridiculous eta. Zoomed out and saw it was routing me via one of the Boston beltways, I-495. Completely missed the shortest route across New Hampshire via limited access highways and tried to put me through a heavy traffic route. As soon as I turned onto the correct highway the eta dropped an hour. (Note I checked setting and was on fastest route).

So I bring it up to my SA pretty emphatically as this is not the first, second or tenth time. Once I dialed in hotel address and ended up in rural gravel pits. Call the hotel and the desk clerk says "oh, you must have a BMW"! Of course there is nothing SA can do to fix but then she says the process is for me to make a detailed report of each incident and send it to the map software company! Like they are going to fix all the issues by a suggestion box approach. End of rant.

Like some of you mentioned on prior threads I now use a cheap, old Garmin when going into uncharted territory. It works almost flawlessly.

As a road warrior a good nav is important enough to me that I will pay closer attention to the underlying software next time I go car shopping. This setup of an old garmin on the dash is a joke. BMW ought to do a goodwill software upgrade.

Okay, this is really the end of the rant.

Scar (holdover from Audi phase 1991-2003)

Current options:
2012 X5 50 Msport carbon/oyster (daily driver)
2007 328 XI Sportwagon (wife)
2003 M5 chiaretto/silverstone (only for fun)
2006 Suburban 2500 (last of the truly tough off road 'burbs)
2007 4Runner Sport (for tight places)
2002 Silverado 3500 pickup (mule)
Advertisement