View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5, xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetman View Post
I didn't think I was mixing playback and store but I did cut-n-paste the wrong article....BMW's Product Planning & Strategy Bulletin # B-1-0710-11-All, dated July 9, 2010 states that effective September, the BMW-supplied Y-cable is no longer needed and music can be downloaded directly from an iPod to the system....I tried it again today and success!

Somewhere however, I read that you must use the iPod's original cable so I used it instead of an iPhone cable I had purchased. I don't think it makes a difference though.

A word of advice might be in order too....it also downloaded movies and games which are not viewable on my system and they take up a large amount of HD space so I think the aforementioned USB stick would still be a better idea in order to weed out the unwanted "stuff".

Either way, we're looking at 4k+ individual songs.
Glad to see you accomplished what you wanted! Clearly, I didn't help...

A question for future reference and for others: What sort of Apple i??? did you use?

Reason I ask: The older iPods had the capability that you could turn on to allow the device to act as a USB drive. (i.e. Act as a USB stick.) I'm just curious if it was one of these sorts of devices and whether that might have anything to do with it. (If it was a more recent iPod Touch or iPhone, then this aspect would be null and void...)

My previous response was obviously just based on paper...which, BTW, I went and looked at the Owner's Manuals for the 2011 and 2013 X5s and they both still refer to the notion that an Apple iPod/iPhone is not a suitable USB device for doing the store to vehicle stuff...So, it's interesting that it worked for you!