View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Okay, sounds like others have parts availability issues as well. Odd that BMW doesn't have better logistics. I am quite sure BMW operates like any other auto manufacturer...earn little on the car at sale, make the profit on service and repairs. To me, not stocking common parts here cuts into that model.

If a BMW certified shop can't get the parts sooner, then I doubt another shop could do better. When I initially consulted with the shop, they projected a timeframe for work of one week (order parts while I still drive it, then bring it in for repairs). Of course after I left it with them, they spent one week dealing with insurance before any work was really done. They knew the bumper cover had to be replaced, but only ordered it after insurance said "okay". Lame to me. But this all goes back to not having parts sourced domestically. I understand not ordering parts until insurance gives the go-ahead, but that leaves the owner without his car for another week while the parts are shipped.

Guess I'm just having bad luck with service and inconvenience. When the service center disabled the auto stop/start last year, the car was in the shop for two days while they waited for a code/approval from BMW. Maybe calling BMW, getting the code, then having me stop by with the car for 10 minutes would have been more efficient...