View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci convertible
did brake job/rear shock mount, have strange noise now

last weekend i replaced the rear brakes/rotors and shock mounts, as they were both due to be done.

while working on the left side of the car, it was nice enough to slip the stand and fall. it fell into the wheel that had been removed, so the rotor fell into the bottom of the rear left wheel, if that makes sense. it did not hit the ground.

in any case, now the car makes a low-pitched, pulsating sound when moving forward at very low speeds (i.e. idle speeds) or when turning left. as the car speeds up, the pulsating noise is more frequent.

the guy i was working on the car with suggested i look at the 'splash guard' behind the rotor to see if it had been bent and pressing up against the rotor. i looked and it had been flattened, so i bent it back into shape away from the rotor, however the noise continues.

ive entertained the idea that it may be a bad wheel bearing, but would be interested to see if anyone thinks it could be something else. braking power seems to be normal, and the noise is there regardless of application of the brakes.

any ideas would be appreciated
Ads by Google