View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 07:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i, 330ci
I tend to agree that the BMW installed nav software isn't up to par. Although the fit and finish leaves it with no comparison. I get frustrated using the portable garmin in the convertible, which was built long before personal GPS units became available. What frustrates me about BMW nav is the route preference settings. You have to remember to use this for each trip. It matters. In NYC for example, you are going to get in trouble if you don't keep it on highway settings. I also can't figure out how to get the 3D building graphics in my new 2012. The 2008 had this feature and it was really handy in the city. You actually could see where you were going. I now use my navigon app in my Iphone more. Now that is really a good alternative if you haven't tried it. The app was expensive. But it's accuracy is very good. But, the drawback is data usage. If you don't have an unlimited wireless data plan, you are in trouble. It does have backup maps downloaded to phone to help you out if you don't have good wireless reception the entire route. But there is a trade off. It's odd, though. For such an expensive car, BMW has left this option off the best of the best, list. Oh, I have a rank about SIRUS. If you even decide to drop them, or swap cars before your contract expires, good luck with getting them to drop you. BMW could sort this out with their relationship with them, but they ignore this too.