View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I just tried an iPhone 5 and a 4S in my M3, and not only any audio app audio (outside BMW Apps) from the iPhone plays via USB but if the app has compatible metadata it will show in the iDrive screen (Album Art, album/artist/station).

I think that your issue is your new 4.2 iDrive/Combox setup. Something must have changed in the way the enhanced USB is implemented with the iPod/iPhone that it does not allow any other audio to pipe thru besides the BMW Apps-approved. Or it is simply a bug at the new Combox section.

Which would not surprise me as I found this "feature" buggy because of the same reason above... audio will pass thru but also metadata. But the metadata will pass only once and will stay there regardless of new metadata, app or display at the iPhone. That happens when Pandora is played in a non-BMW apps USB as well.

I would guess that BMW simply eliminated that with the new iDrive USB... with the audio as well.

Thanks for checking. Like you, I had no problems doing this in my M3. However, I was always using the cradle interface, but could still override and push audio to the system. And, it even showed metadata for other audio apps.

But this is not a BMW problem. I found some other forums for Spotify where users of Jeeps, etc., run into this problem. Anytime the phone recognizes "Accessory Connected", the phone wants to override with iTunes, instead of Spotify, etc.

Can you check to see if when you're playing iTunes music off an iPhone, does the phone lock you out with Accessory Connected? Or can you still select tracks via the phone, not just the iDrive?

I also just tried the "switch USB plugs" in the center console plan. From the normal USB back connector to swap with the cradle connector. I got to the USB/AUX connectors OK, but couldn't remove the cradle base plate from the center console without fear of breaking it. I felt around below the base plate, and I'm not even sure if that connector type to the cradle is the same as what connects to the USB. The back of the USB port connects via a white circular port. That's not what the connection to the underside of the cradle felt like. It seemed more like a flat pin connection.

Last edited by SamS; 01-26-2013 at 12:45 PM.