View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat1 View Post
There is no way the car was going to be totaled. The damage was less than 50 percent of the value of the car. The airbags (other than the driver's side) deployed because I had the back seats folded down and was carrying a bunch of computer equipment in the back. The accident really wasn't that bad, as no one was injured and there was no damage to the engine, etc. The majority of the repairs were cosmetic (replacing the front bumper, headlights, grill, and hood) and putting the airbags back.

I am concerned that the car will "never be the same," but that is a worry for another day, since I don't even have the car back, yet. I really just want to know if these types of delays and an 8 week repair time are common.

BTW, I tried calling two BMW dealerships to get the name of an "authorized" repair shop. I called the dealership I purchased the car from and a dealership near where I had the accident. One would not answer the phone, and the other never called me back after I left a message. I waited as long as I could but finally had to make a decision on my own. The repair shop I selected is a "preferred" shop with my insurance company (State Farm), and my family has always been satisfied with shops with that affiliation in the past. If the body shop is to be believed, the car is currently at a certified mechanic to have the computer reset and error messages cleared.
Its really hard to tell what damage your car have suffered without a picture. I am just going by your description and the number of air bags deployed. Your car is worth too much to be totaled, but thats not always a good thing for you. Damage from an accident may look cosmetic at first, but with the amount of sensors and electronics in your BMW, there are bound to be some mechanical or electrical issues associated with it. Lets just hope they can find them all and fix it before they return it to you.
A preferred shop with the insurance company simply means that the body shop will work at the set rate of the insurance company, which is usually lower than the dealer's. Also, they might also use after market parts or refurbished parts, you might want to ask them about that.
As far as delays repairing a car that have that much damage, its pretty common. They usually find more and more things broken as they start the job. Good Luck.