View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
BMW sedans were never sports cars. They were sport sedans/coupes (fixed) which are cars that combine daily driver practicality with sporty driving dynamics. All performance cars are "softer" than they used to be and if they are not they should be because with the technology that is available today it is not necessary to have a bone jarring suspension to have a good handling car. Modern performance cars (i.e. BMW, Porsche, Jaguar, Maserati, Ferrari, etc.) all have luxury features such as navigation systems, power windows and seats, climate control and bluetooth).

The days of the bar bones roadster with plastic side curtains, a top that had to be erected, and could be driven to the track, raced and driven back home ended a long time ago.

CA
In 1979 when I bought my 320i, they were only available as sport coupes.

What a shame that the bare bones roadsters are not still around except for the Miata, although, my Carrera has similar characteristics even though it does have "back seats".

The roof has air leaks with the top up just like my 1967 MG did. It is very nostalgic and reminds me why I love sports cars. I even told the dealer not to mess with it when they said they could probably correct the air leaks.

My otherwise loaded Porsche also has an actual key ignition, and sport seats without power adjustments except for the back recliner. They are heated though, and that is a nice modern feature. I also have to manually turn my headlamps on and adjust the mirror for night & day. These are all features that true sports car enthusiasts enjoy.

There was a post in the Porsche forum where I frequent asking current owners what their first car was. I was amazed that more than 80% of their first cars were British sports cars. My first car was the 1967 MG Midget.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget