View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Thise were the days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
In 1979 when I bought my 320i, they were only available as sport coupes.

What a shame that the bare bones roadsters are not still around except for the Miata, although, my Carrera has similar characteristics even though it does have "back seats".

The roof has air leaks with the top up just like my 1967 MG did. It is very nostalgic and reminds me why I love sports cars. I even told the dealer not to mess with it when they said they could probably correct the air leaks.

My otherwise loaded Porsche also has an actual key ignition, and sport seats without power adjustments except for the back recliner. They are heated though, and that is a nice modern feature. I also have to manually turn my headlamps on and adjust the mirror for night & day. These are all features that true sports car enthusiasts enjoy.

There was a post in the Porsche forum where I frequent asking current owners what their first car was. I was amazed that more than 80% of their first cars were British sports cars. My first car was the 1967 MG Midget.
Porsche's (other than the Speedsters) were generally relatively civilized as sports cars go. I had an Austin Healey Bug Eye Sprite, an Alfa Romeo Giuletta Spyder, an Alfa Romeo 2000 Touring and a Jaguar XK120. I still love the cars of that era but at this point would not want one as a daily driver.

This is what "Sports Cars" look like. I took these pictures last Fall at the Lime Rock Heritage Fesival (top) and the Watkins Glen Vintage Grand Prix. We attend both events every year. The Lime Rock Historics are held Labor Day Weekend and the Watkins Glen Vintage Grand Prix is the following weekend.

Cars parked in Falls Village CT after the Race Car Parade though the surrounding towns.

At Watkins Glen they "Recreated" the race though the streets. The cars paraded along the original course through the streets of the town. The Street Course was used from 1948 to 1952 before the track was built a few miles form town.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-27-2013 at 02:26 PM.