View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD330i View Post
Love the vintage shots. From Watkins Glen & Ct. Our family one 912 & two 911T's in '70's. we auto crossed them a bit. However, my Dad ended up getting a burned up 914 , turned it into an E Production SCCA race car. Painted it the color of Hexcel Skis blue & green. My brother won E Production in the mid '70's. Point of reference. 911T Porsche in 1970 - $8,600 & in 1973 our 911T was $11,800. Amazing ! Great cars. The 914 handled like a slot car. Great memories love our 335i. & I know my Dad would have too
I have often said that of all of our possessions automobiles are the closest things to being friends or members of the family. For many their cars are an important component of their self image. We tend to chronicle our lives by the cars we owned, family cars when we were kids or cars we coveted as children. When we see a car similar to one that we had in our younger days it is like meeting up with an old friend. When we see a car that strikes our fancy it can be an experience that stays with us for our entire lives. I (and probably most other Boomers) clearly remember the first time I saw a Corvette Sting Ray the first time I saw a Jaguar E-Type.

This is my favorite picture from the Lime Rock Heritage Festival. This is Matthew. Matthew is being treated for bone cancer and he and his family are staying at Ronald McDonald House New York. Matthew was our guest as one of the judges for the Ronald McDonald House Kid's Choice Award which is part of the annual Sunday In The Park car show. There were cars parked all around the 1.5 mile track and about 100 cars that were entered in the Show were line up along the main straight. We were chauffeuring the kids around the track in golf karts with "Official Ronald McDonald House Kid's Choice Award" signs on them (BimmerFester EdCT was the driver). We told the kids to ask us to stop if they saw something that caught their eye. Matthew was fascinated by "The Black Beast" a 100 year old Alco race car that had competed in the Vanderbilt Cup races which were held on the streets of Long Island. I know the owner of the car as we are both members of the Chowder Club. Howard asked Matthew if he would like to sit in the car and of course he said yes.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-27-2013 at 06:29 PM.