View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 03:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540i/6 E39
I recently purchased a Duralast Platinum H8-AGM. The grey shirt working at the vato zone was about to grab the Duralast Gold lead acid battery, before I stopped him and got the Platinum instead just because it's an AGM battery. Newer may always be better. Glancing at the battery, it says that it was made in PA. Has all the same specs and housing as the Deka Intimidator and Ultimate AGM 9AGM49. I am not sure is Johnson Controls or East Penn manufactured it, but I have a few inclinations as to the latter.
My old BMW battery died sitting in my garage around freezing temperatures for over a week. The Duralast needs to be vented even with as an AGM battery, the vent tube spots are the same size and location as the OEM battery. I had also just reused the vent elbow and tube for the new battery. The Duralast is shorter by about 2cm thus the top hold down doesn't even touch the battery. It weighs about the same as the old battery, probably around 58-64 lbs. It was a slight pain in the ass to get the battery into the compartment(maybe I need to lift more weights ), but installation couldn't be any easier.

It sure starts my car much faster than before. With the good CCA rating, as well as RC I'm quite satisfied how it has been performing this winter. I think that the demands on the battery is pretty great even for a car made in 2001; Heated seats, DICE + music, heater, headlights and fogs, all running and the start up won't hesitate.

The price was less than Batteries Plus Duracell AGM, as well as Sears Diehard Platinum AGM. I also went with it because the AutoZone was closest to my house. I paid $160 +$12 core charge -$12 for my old battery. Warranty is 3 yrs. vs the Gold's 5 years, but I'm not a stickler for that kind of stuff. I'm not exactly sure how to review a battery, but I guess I will find out over time since this stuff varies by usage.