View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by STawf View Post
Hondo, the place I bought it from was not a BMW dealership. I took a chance without getting it checked out because it was about 2 hours away from the nearest dealership.

and Iqaddict, they quoted me 3200 for both right and left headlight units and the Labor. So that's probably around what you'd be paying for both...

Do either of you know if an aftermarket headlight assembly would actually fix the problem? Because they're significantly cheaper...
what exactly is failed? the lights dont light up? or are you getting an adaptive malfunction message?

what strikes me as odd is that they are saying the control units are good (which is the ballasts) which means the lights should work unless the bulbs (which have an integrated ignitor) are bad.

the only thing that would require a replacement of the whole headlight unit would be a failed adaptive cornering/leveling mech. more often than not, that issue is repairable.

the headlights are multiple components.

you have:
the housing (which cost quite a bit)
the control units (aka ballasts)
bulbs
if your lights are out, i highly doubt its the housing. its either a bad ballast or bad bulbs. unless you have a bad wiring harness, but replacing the headlights wont fix that
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 01-28-2013 at 07:42 AM.