View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
We own a 2007 Yukon Denali (not an XL) and a 2013 X5 3.5. Not exactly what Yatzhee wsas comparing, (XL vs X5) but the BMW and the Yukons are really very diffrent vehicles. To say the least, the X5 drives, handles, and rides much differently than the Yukon - that is, much better. The Yukon is a truck - it is bigger than an X5 and is made for towing. Standard equipment incliud es a tow package and a transmission setting for towing. It has 380 horsepower and because of it's weight and its 4-speed auto gets about 14mpg city, maybe 19 highway *not towing). The third row, which is standard, seats 3. It has a soft ride - not as bad as an escalade but with the Michelins doesn't really feel too truck like. It also has lousy headlights - can barely see at night - and to change to better bulbs requires removing a fender guard. In bright daylight the speedometer is impossible to see. The interior is leather with fake wood and a non-heated steering wheel. This vehicle is used for long trips (until I got the X5) but really to pull a horse trailer. As far as comparing it with the BMW free maintenance (which I suspect is built into the price of all BMWs), so far at 75000 miles we have had oil changes and tire rotations in the Denali but I don't know what the next servicing will be.
The BMW is infinitely more refined, the seats are better (multi-contour), drives and handles well despite its bulk, gets better gas mileage, and is a bit smaller. I would drive the Yukon in the snow rather than the BMW - mainly because if some idiot smacks into me Id rather the vehicle with 75000 miles gets hit than a new one!
One more thing - Yukon has not squeaks or rattles, BMW has temperature related rattles/squeaks.