View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Give the ATS some time. The 3 series moniker has been around for far longer then Caddie's ATS moniker. A couple years down the line, we'll see it have a very big following, if not bigger(on the internet anyway) if BMW keeps up with the current trend of softening up their cars. It's losing it's core base that helped it get to where it is today - Purists.
I don't think that GM, in their wildest dreams, expected the ATS to outsell or sell even come close to selling as well as the 3 Series in the first few years of production. If the ATS is well received it will gradually gain market share.

A lot of the threads about brands that compete with BMW have a lot of preconceptions. You will see "A Mustang can't go around corners in spite of the fact that on the track they are very competitive with, and sometimes faster than an M3.

Many people choose a car brand because the way other people perceive them (or more accurately the way THEY perceive that other people perceive them) is very important to them. In the general scheme of things choosing a product based on who else you think owns that product is rather silly, but to a certain point we all do that.

I remember seeing a show on television a few years ago where there were a group of people who were taste testing vodka. Before the test they asked the participants what their favorite vodka brand was and most named Grey Goose. When the participants were aware of the brand they were tasting Grey Goose won the taste test. When they repeated the test and they did not know what brand they were tasting Grey Goose was far down on the list behind several far less expensive brands.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians