Thread: Wary noob
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
I've never owned an e39 6 cyl...but did own an e34 525iT that I purchased from a seller from the DC/Arlington VA area back in 2004.

I rented a small 6 cyl Chrsyler product to drive there to look at the Touring...it had less than 100 miles on the odometer and the one excellent thing it had was a usable cup holder (Chrysler has that feature covered.

Now, the eastern continental divide through W. Virginia into Maryland is no Sierra Mountains...there were long uphill & downhill grades that had this practically brand new Chrysler thing grunting and groaning like an old man trying to get out of his Barcalounger. Needless to say, I purchased the 95 e34 Touring and the drive back to Indiana was totally different. BMWs ATC (adaptive transmission control) has 9 automatic transmission modes that makes uphill/downhill/curves etc seem like nothing. There was no grunting and groaning and struggling from the 95 525iT like the brand new Chrysler thing I had driven to pick up the Touring.

So although you may be considering the 6 cyl e39 Touring...it will be no slouch on the highway etc..if it's in good mechanical condition. I think you will be pleasantly surprised...and fall under the spell of how effortlessly BMWs handle highway cruising. BTW, I was cruising like 100 MPH heading east toward Wheeling W Va minding my own business (light traffic initially) and enjoying my new purchase...and all of a sudden a caravan of about 6 black limousines seemed to come out of no where ...and zoomed past me. I was freaking out...because soon after they passed...I started noticing state/county/local police cars stationed along the highway and overpasses. I thought I was in some deep doo doo and was sweating bullets.

As I got closer to the city...I turned the radio on and found out that President Bush was in town for a campaign speech. Crisis averted (and yes, I slowed down).

Best thing to do is to take 'em for a drive...you'll soon know if the e39 is for you or not.

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg