View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 530ia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
These engines have a couple of plastic pipe-hoses tucked underneath the intake manifold and behind the OFH. More and more, I'm seeing threads about these two hoses leaking. You can't remove/replace them without pulling the intake manifold (and OFH, and alternator) because they are coming out of the engine block and otherwise inaccessible.

Here's a shot of an M54 block with those two pipes still attached.

Thanks for all the replies! After refilling the expansion tank today i drove over to see the guys at Avenue Autosport in Port Charlotte. Their business focuses mostly on hot roddin Audi/VW, but do a fair amount of everything German. I explained everything I had already done, and broke out my Surefire Fury light to show them what I was seeing with respect to coolant puddles. He instantly blurted out that it was 1 of those hoses your pic shows, and said that he's seen quite a few failures like this. He spotted a dryed out section of the pipe and even a bit of coolant just below. Anywho, he said I'll be perfectly fine as long as I keep the coolant full until a week from this Friday, when I can get in to have it done. What a relief! I mentioned cracked/warped head, and he just laughed at the thought. Told me story of some woman who just came through the shop last week with no belts on her E39 after driving almost 100 miles with the temp needle in the red the whole way. She apparently hit something and broke off the power steering pulley somehow. They put everything back together and it is as good as new. The engine was still solid, since there was plenty of coolant left in the block. I trust him and what he knows, so when he said that these engines can take a hell of a beating before they crack or warp, I believe him. Glad it's something small, even if I did overreact a little. Thank you all for your help. Btw, I never saw any of those pipes in any of the diy or realoem diagrams before, so i guess there's still more to this cursed cooling system than I thought. I guess I didn't have to re-replace all those cooling system parts like I did afterall, but at least i get another year out of them. I'll post the final results after it's done, including part#'s and cost.
Thanks again everyone

-Mike
Tan interior w/black dash,black parcel shelf, black front seat backs, black speaker covers, black floor mats, black door card tops, black Euro armrest, black door pockets, black M5 footrest | Bilstein sports | H&R sport springs | M5 rear sway bar | DDM 6000K Fogs | M5 rear lip spoiler | Ipod DICE kit | AFE Pro Dry air intake | 18" Beyern Mesh wheels | Umnitza FX-R headlights 55W w/Orion V2 Halos | Black grill & Shadowline Window Trim | Silver gauge rings | rear cup holder delete | 191K miles

Last edited by mike530ia; 01-28-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: addition