View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: 525XI
Thumbs up 2007 525 XI - Oil Sensor MAlfunction message

I took my car to the dealer for an oil change today. It was -4* F today. After oil change I pulled the car out of the dealership and onto the street and within a minute the dashboards said "Oil sensor malfunction" and the warning flashed asking that I take it to the service center. I asked the service department about it and they denied doing anything with that part. But said that if they are responsible, they will honor and repair it....

Later in the evening I searched online and started looking for root cause for this issue...I found multiple...
1. Sensor is really faulty (appointment taken for another day)
2. Difference in viscosity of Original oil and new oil (service center rechecked)
3. Faulty oil filter (service center rechecked)
4. O-ring on the oil filter damaged (service center rechecked)
5. Oil leaking (not in my case)
6. Condensation in the engine due to cold climate

While I waited for the appointment day, I decided follow up on the condensation theory. As suggested by the shigeki and others, I took the car out for the spin and drove it at around 85mph for 10 minutes. Then parked in the parking lot, opened the hood after 2 minutes and opened the oil cap....out comes the steam from the engine...Next time I started the engine the issues were gone for about 15 minutes of driving and came back again....I repeated the same 85mph again and now, I have no issue with the oil sensor anymore...IT IS THE CONDENSATION that cause OIL SENSOR MALFUNCTION...

Thanks