View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebeemer View Post
Shopping for a new laptop on Friday for dev work - and am cringing at the idea of W8. Planning on installing XP or Vista as soon as I get it home, lol.
you know - I was as well (and I have an MSDN account so it was no hassle - I even had the dvd and a usb external ready to go) - that was until I found Classic Shell - now I can leave windows 8 in place... it really is ok with classic shell installed.

I have my windows metro interface or windows 7-like setup - it adds a proper start menu back to window 8 - and it almost doesn't differ from this windows 7 machine I'm on now... I got a samsung ultrabook with touch screen, 4Gb of RAM (I'm upping that to 8Gb) - 500Gb hdd) for $849 from bestbuy - I actually went in to look a the discounted macbook airs and I was a little forgetful and went to the wrong bestbuy - one that didn't have the macbooks... it was drive back 28 miles to the *right* bestbuy - or eval what was there... the samsung fit the bill and I'm very happy with it now that I have the classic shell program installed... before, I was fighting it and getting very frustrated.... now, frustration factor is no more than I had with win-7.

I was going to upgrade to 8-pro - but I actually don't think I'll need hyper-v on this laptop... and I can't think of another reason why 8-pro might be better for this machine than the standard 8 that came with it - I have RDP client on here... that's about all I need...

My windows key does my start menu - if I shift-windows-key - it flips between metro and windows desktop - I like it this way now. I can use it to demo software installation on windows 8 to my wife and staff.... which makes this a valid tool for training now!

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!