View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 08:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i v8
I jacked up the rear wheels off the ground. I had the trans in neutral and engine off. When I grabbed the rear wheel at the 12 'O Clock and 6 'O Clock positions and pulled in and out - my rear wheels had about 15mm's of play at the bottom of the wheel.

AFTER I had the rear ball joints replaced.... (#2 in that RealOEM.com link #33326767748) The rear wheel play was gone - when I retested the wheel play.

I did not want to do the job myself. I shopped around at a few German repair shops. My tire shop wanted 380 euros to replace the ball joints (both sides) plus an 79 euro alignment. Another shop gave me a quote of 600 euros, then he came down to 350 euros w/alignment.

By chance I was at my BMW Zentrum (dealer) and asked the guys I know there about it. Even though their shop labor is 110 euros per hour vs 49 euros per hours for those two indi shops... my BMW dealer quoted me 210 euros parts and labor. PLUS they told me that an alignment wasn't necessary! AND they gave me a two year warranty good at any European BMW dealer. So... needless to say I was pleasantly surprised to use my BMW dealer.