View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Remember your present car is depreciating more each day and once past 150K it starts to approach "donate to a worthy cause" material.
Hi Uncle J, sorry but I have to disagree here. One of the benefits of keeping a car a long time is that the depreciation curve comes close to being flat, and the car is judged and appraised on its condition alone, not its age. I expect to be spending at least $2K per year in repairs and maintenance when I get to 150K, probably more when you average in tires, batteries, clutch, cooling system, and suspension components. Still way less than the cost of leasing a new car every three years which is roughly equivalent to paying for the steep part of the depreciation curve. Even probably less than replacing a car every six years., which I think is roughly the sweet spot for replacement if you don't want to commit to keeping a long time.

Of course, in my case I can't really replace the car, since the MT is no longer offered. Which is one major reason I'm in it for the long haul.