View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckryptor View Post
I drive a 2004 545i Sport

So i got a new battery and a new alternator installed 2 weeks ago from a bmw dealer. Cost me $3000 ++. Last night i drove the car just fine. Today in the morning the car won't respond. Had to manually unlock the car. When i insert the key no response, no light no nothing as if the car had no battery.

Took it back to the dealer who read all the fault codes and several hours later informed me that the active steering control unit is acting up. Last night after i went to bed it switch on to prepare the car for a driver. it kept switching off and on overnight which eventually killed the battery. I am now told that i have to replace this unit which might or might not fix the problem. The unit costs $2300.

I have already spent $3000+ don't want to spend more. Any creative suggestions? Need help guys
If a new battery and alternator is all the dealer installed before taking an industrial vacuum and sucking 30 Ben Franklins out of your wallet then you need to find a new dealer, or better yet a good indy. A replacement aftermarket battery is $125-$150. Battery registration is around $50. A brand new Valeo OE alternator costs around $285 delivered. Labor should be around $600 or less with an Indy, or free if you do it yourself like I did.

If what the dealer is saying about the active steering control is true, then either you didn't need a new alternator and battery in the first place, or the alternator and the active steering control were both bad in the first place. Why didn't he find the active steering control problem when he first had it?

And after a battery dies or is replaced the active steering system commonly needs to be reset anyway.

What were the original symptoms that caused you to replace the alternator and battery in the first place?

I would run far away from that dealer and find someone who can troubleshoot, not just throw very expensive parts (that he overcharges for) at a car to see what might fix it.