View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 04:10 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
OK, absolutely no change in rpm when performing an oil reading at idle. When are you guys stating that the rpm increases? When you select the "Vehicle Status" menu and go to the oil read sub-menu? When I do that, assuming the engine is sufficiently warm to report the oil level, the green oil level bar appears immediately, there is no pause for a reading to take place -- because it has already occurred. I believe when you press the oil button, it is simply accessing information already fed to the computer. The only time there is a pause is if you try to check the level too soon after you start the car. Then, as I stated in my previous reply, the message just says "measuring engine oil level". At that point, I usually move off that screen and come back later if I really want to see the level. Also, if I leave the Vehicle Status selection in the oil level position, as soon as I re-select Vehicle Status, the "engine oil level OK" is already visible, even before I see the green bar.

In conclusion, at least for my 2011 535i, there is no special "process" which increases rpm when doing an oil level reading.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 01-29-2013 at 05:17 PM.